[ Austin, Texas ]
2011 Citation of Honor
AIA Austin Design Awards
Located near Austin’s historic Clarksville neighborhood, the 1917 Bungalow is one in a series of historic homes whose first owners were freed slaves.
Taking advantage of the deep site, the entrance was moved to the side of the house, where old meets new. The pre-existing house contains the bedrooms and more private areas. The original ceiling coffers, windows, trims and long-leaf pine floors were retained and the walls were restored to their original wood plank siding. Restoration uncovered a box containing love letters between the owner, a clerk of the state legislature, and his bride—the walls were talking.
The new wing, conceived as a long, simple volume that creates a dialogue with the existing house, contains the kitchen and living rooms. Large glass sliding doors and floor-to-ceiling windows create a direct connection to two prominent oak trees and a new lap pool while allowing natural light into the spaces.